Memorials and Gifts
St. Augustines' Church has a beautiful stained glass east window. It was
installed on behalf of Mrs. Rebecca Brookes in memory of her husband,
Christopher, who died in 1893. The window has colours of very rich blues,
reds and yellow. It depicts the parable of the Prodigal Son, with a text
under each window.
The East Window <Photograph>
The Hutton family of Rockwood installed a second stained glass window
in 1900. This was installed in memory of Stamford Henry Hutton aged 20
years. The second half of this window is in memory of Georgina Hutton,
January 1923 and her son Robert who died in 1920.
The Hutton (North) Window
are four wall tablets. One in memory of James Johnston who died
in December 1846, another in memory of Rev. W. Gratton who was curate
of Swanlinbar for 37 years and died in March 1844. One in memory
of Captain John Johnston J.P. who died in November 1864, the last
in memory of Albert Hutton, Rockwood who died in September 1887.
Tablet in Memory of Captain John Johnston J.P.
Johnston who died in December 1846
Tablet in Memory of Albert Hutton
W. Gratton, curate of Swanlinbar for 37 years
|Two other tablets came
from the Swanlinbar Methodist Church when it was sold in 1997. Those
named on the tablets are buried in the Church graveyard, one in memory
of Margaret Howe who died in 1915 and her husband Richard who died
in 1926. The other is in memory of Martha and Andrew Veitch who died
In memory of
Margaret and Richard Howe
In memory of
Martha and Andrew Veitch
Over the years many people have given items to the Church in memory of
their relatives or friends.
The Lectern was given
in memory of Miss Kathleen Hutton of Rockwood who died in 1896. <Photograph>
The organ was presented
to the Church by the Hicks family of Moneenbawn, in memory of their son
Robert who was killed in an accident in U.S.A. in 1932. <Photograph>
The Communion Table was
given by James Kerr, Trivia House, in memory of his brother Corporal Alex
Kerr who died in 1918. <Photograph>
The Hymn Board and Book
Rest for the Communion Table were given by the Parish in memory of Rev.
George Milligan, 1932 - 1939. <Photograph>
The Offertory Plates
were given by Mrs. M. K. Storey, Moher, in memory of her daughter, Kathleen
The Bible for the Lectern
was given by the McVitty family, Derryvaughan, in memory of their parents
and brother. <Photograph>
Tarring of the drive
way was by the Johnston family, Gubnamadra, in memory of their parents
Mrs. Mary Jane Kerr,
Trivia House, enabled the Church bell to be electrified, in memory of
her husband James Kerr, who died in 1963. She also gave table frontals
and pulpit falls in 1980.
Thomas Smith, Clontallaghan,
gave the carpet for the aisle, and pulpit, in memory of his parents, brothers
and sister in 1974.
A bookcase was given
by the Scales family, Furnaceland, in memory of their parents and brother,
and a credence table in memory of their sister Margaret Scales. <Photograph
The electric lights in
the chancel were given in memory of his parents by William Hassard, Borim.
Electric lights for the
choir and organ, in memory of William and Violet Hassard, Borim, by their
daughter Mrs. Deirdre Stevenson, Enniskillen, 1995.
The Lights on the avenue
were presented by the Wilson family in memory of their parents Jame and
May Wilson, 2002.